Re: Modtager spam pga BSD-DK!

From: Laust S. Jespersen (none@L--ust.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk)
Date: Mon 24 Apr 2006 - 12:14:23 CEST

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:14:23 +0200
From: "Laust S. Jespersen" <none@L--ust.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
To:  bsd-dk@bsd-dk.dk
Subject: Re: Modtager spam pga BSD-DK!

Jesper Rønnekilde wrote:
>> On 4/24/06, Allan Wermuth <none@alw--it-service.sdu.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk> wrote:
>>
>>> Forwarding all Your mail to the Gmail account, and then fetching them
>>> back again, using
>>> POP/SSL, doesn't actually reduce the amount of traffic in your domain.
>> Indeed it can. MX records can use bandwidth of a different network
>> entirely compared to websites, as it is in my example.
>>
>> But my solution is mainly to reduce inbound spam which has to be
>> manually processed. I'm not that low on bandwidth.
>>
>> Of course POP3 over SSL is more bandwidth intensive compared to POP3,
>> but now I'm more safe as well, since my mailbox provider only supports
>> unencrypted POP3 and nothing else. Using GMail over SSL is for me a
>> much better solution.
>>
>> I even filter that mail through SpamAssassin and ClamAV when it gets
>> home to me, and after that filtering there's only a tiny fragment of
>> spam getting through. Convenient.
>
> Accept that you can't fight spam at your MTA! Set up filtering at your MUA
> ;-)
>
> /jesper

If you received the Spam mail, then *you* have lost.
Filtering the mail afterwards still uses *your* resources on
something that *you* did not ask for.

Refusing them at the door (filtering at/before the MTA and/or using
spamd/tarpit) might take some resources, but at least you wont
get their crap on your system.

IMHO sending your mail on a trip through gmail won't help anything,
since gmail filters at the MUA level (which in this case is a good
thing since you would not want mail from someone not arriving @ your
gmail account) so the Spam still gets delivered to you (and the you
have lost)

But for personal mail... refuse them as early as you possibly can, and
use as many of *their* resources as you possibly can.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards
Laust Jespersen