traceroute ICMP/UDP (was RE: ... going slightly mad... tun0, ppp, ipfw, life and everythin g...)

From: Henrik Kramshøj (none@henrik.kramshoj--vigilante.com.lh.bsd-dk.dk)
Date: Thu 19 Apr 2001 - 17:01:07 CEST

From: Henrik Kramshøj <none@henrik.kramshoj--vigilante.com.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
To: "'bsd-dk@BSD-Dk.dk'" <none@bsd-dk--BSD-Dk.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
Subject: traceroute ICMP/UDP (was RE: ... going slightly mad... tun0, ppp, ipfw, life and everythin g...)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:01:07 +0200

Hi All

Traceroute is funny !

On Linux the default is to use UDP packets
        traceroute www.bsd-dk.dk
but you can just specify -I to use ICMP
        traceroute -I www.bsd-dk.dk

On Wirus NT and friends it uses only ICMP (I think, try sniffing it)

Don't know about BSD (will check when I need it)

At work I often see one or the other blocked by firewalls, but most times
I get lucky using the other :-)

BTW my opinion is that UDP should NOT go through a firewall, except perhaps
for DNS
queries :-) (UDP port 53)

Best regards

Henrik Lund Kramshøj