Re: FreeBSD NewBie.

From: Sven Esbjerg (none@esbjerg--ehp.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk)
Date: Mon 02 Oct 2000 - 10:20:48 CEST

Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:20:48 +0200
From: Sven Esbjerg <none@esbjerg--ehp.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
To: bsd-dk@bsd-dk.dk
Subject: Re: FreeBSD NewBie.

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 09:42:40AM +0200, Martin Rehr wrote:
> I am used to Red Hat linux, and i think FreeBSD seems great.
> Is there any performance differenses between Linux and FreeBSD ?
> Why should i choose FreeBSD for furture installations instead of Linux ?

There are lots of reasons. My personal reason was the I got tired from Linux
instability especially on SMP machines (even WinNT is better). In my oppinion
OpenBSD is the best OS I have used (haven't tried QNX yet) - if you can live
with the limited amount of ports. If I need more software and SMP support I
turn to FreeBSD. If I need a *nix-like system fast I still turn to Linux which
takes about 30min to install with all the whistles and bells.

> I have a problem getting the java compiler to work.
> I use FreeBSD 4.1
> I downloaded the file jdk1.1.8_ELF.V1999-11-9.tar.gz from
> http://www.freebsd.org/java/dists/11.html

I would recomend that you use the ports system instead. If you haven't
installed the ports system please read the FBSD FAQ and follow the
instructions. Afterwords go to /usr/ports and do a 'make search key=jdk'. On
OpenBSD it's located under devel/jdk in the ports system and it works fine
even though it's a bit slow.

/Sven