FreeBSD NewBie.

From: Martin Rehr (none@mr--incorp.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk)
Date: Mon 02 Oct 2000 - 09:42:40 CEST

Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 09:42:40 +0200
From: Martin Rehr <none@mr--incorp.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
To: bsd-dk@hotel.prosa.dk
Subject: FreeBSD NewBie.

Hello.

I just installed FreeBSD last friday, and have a few FreeBSD questions.

First of all i should say, that it is only the tekstbox im interested in
NOT X.

I am used to Red Hat linux, and i think FreeBSD seems great.
Is there any performance differenses between Linux and FreeBSD ?
Why should i choose FreeBSD for furture installations instead of Linux ?

What is the major differenses in Linux And FreeBSD.

I have a problem getting the java compiler to work.
I use FreeBSD 4.1
I downloaded the file jdk1.1.8_ELF.V1999-11-9.tar.gz from
http://www.freebsd.org/java/dists/11.html

When i first tried to execute the javac it could not find
/usr/lib/libxpg.so.2
I got a /usr/lib/libxpg.so.3 and a /usr/lib/libxpg.so
/usr/lib/libxpg.so is a symbolic link to /usr/lib/libxpg.so.3, i then
made a symbolic link libxpg.so.2 --> link libxpg.so.3

I did the same thing with the libc.so.3
I have a libc.so and a libc.so.4 where the libc.so is a symbolic link to
libc.so.4.
The javac needed a libc.so.3, so i a made a link libc.so.3 --->
libc.so.4.

Now i am stocked with this:

i execute the javac and get the following:

updater# javac
SIGSEGV 11* segmentation violation

Full thread dump:
Monitor Cache Dump:
Registered Monitor Dump:
    Monitor IO lock: <unowned>
    Child death monitor: <unowned>
    Event monitor: <unowned>
    I/O monitor: <unowned>
    Alarm monitor: <unowned>
    Memory allocation lock: <unowned>
    Monitor registry: <unowned>
Thread Alarm Q:
Abort trap - core dumped
updater#

Does anybody know what is going on, and what i can do to fix the problem
?

Regards
    Martin