freeBSD, partitioning and the infamous track 1024 limit

From: jgr (none@jgr--ascom.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk)
Date: Tue 14 Mar 2000 - 13:57:52 CET

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:57:52 +0100
From: jgr <none@jgr--ascom.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
To: bsd-dk@bsd-dk.dk
Subject: freeBSD, partitioning and the infamous track 1024 limit

Hello

I have a large ide HD, where I would like to install and test freeBSD,
together with two Windoze's and two Linux'es.

Windoze needs to be installed in primary partitions, within the track
limit.

Linux I can install anywhere on the HD, as long as I keep the /boot
mount in a small partition, that is placed within track 1024. The
partition type can be primary og logical, it don't matter. I then put
root (/) and swap in the extended partition anywhere on the disk.

Are there any (resonable) way to install freeBSD the same way - using
two slices - one small slice to boot from in the first part of the disk
- and the second, with swap, root and usr outside the track 1024 limit?

Am I limitet to primary partitions for the slices?

Brgds Jorgen Greve