Re: {Free,Net}BSD

From: Sune Stjerneby (none@S.Stjerneby--koege-gym.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk)
Date: Tue 19 Jan 1999 - 14:29:47 CET

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:29:47 +0100
From: Sune Stjerneby <none@S.Stjerneby--koege-gym.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
To: bsd-dk@hotel.prosa.dk
Subject: Re: {Free,Net}BSD

Philippe Regnauld skrev:
> > Regarding the *BSD user group in denmark... I'm in..
>
> Well, we'll have to find something to do then :-)

I'm in too. I think a general interest might show if the group was
announced or publicized in some way. I know of a couple here, and I
converted one to BSD yesterday 8).

> Linux, like a lot of other places, is much more known -- it's
> be interesting to do a "comparison" page, but one that
> tries to guide the user to the OS that suits him best -- Linux
> _is_ better documented for the non-UNIX user, there _are_
> books in Danish, development of new features is usually faster,
> and it's usually easier to find a person to help you if you have
> a problem.

There are some 'classic' books like 'UNIX for Dosmere' and such which
cover BSD in general provide a relatively good introduction to the
system, from a user point of view. There are other Danish books on the
subject (search DANBIB for 'BSD' or 'Berkeley UNIX'). Also, the FreeBSD
Diary is said to be helpful to some (not to mention the USENIX printed
4.4BSD books). But obviously not in the same magnitude as with Linux
documentation (although much of it also applies to BSD systems).

> (I still go out and install RedHat or Debian for the people
> I want to convert, but don't want to support :-)))

I've heard from newcomers ('advanced PC users') who prefer the
ports/pkgsrc-collection over various .deb/.rpm/... solutions, though.

> - Articles, promotion
>
> Experiences, tips, evaluations -> some decent articles about FreeBSD
> in Danish newspapers/magazines (Computerworld, and the rest) --
> "We're using FreeBSD and it works!"

I know CyberCity is using FreeBSD for some (all?) server operations -
perhaps someone should ask them to detail this.

> Again, what you want to avoid is this kind of (non)article
>
> http://hotel.prosa.dk/~regnauld/ekstra-linux.jpg

Reminds me of an article in PC World Danmark recently (on Linux),
claiming that Linux is 'the only OS' to support a multitude of hardware
platforms (ever heard of (Net,Open}BSD?). This is similar to the trend
of referring to Linux as a 'UNIX-platform' and using the term
'UNIX/Linux' when generally referring to UNIX issues..

/*
  * Sune Stjerneby <none@s.stjerneby--koege-gym.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
   * VAX-11/VMS, ULTRIX-RISC & Berkeley UNIX (BSD) operator.
    * http://www.NetBSD.ORG, http://www.FreeBSD.ORG
     * Berkeley UNIX: 22 years on the VAX.
      *
       */