Re: Modtager spam pga BSD-DK!

From: Jakob Breivik Grimstveit (none@jakob--grimstveit.no.lh.bsd-dk.dk)
Date: Mon 24 Apr 2006 - 11:30:32 CEST

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:30:32 +0200
From: "Jakob Breivik Grimstveit" <none@jakob--grimstveit.no.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
To: bsd-dk@bsd-dk.dk, "Allan Wermuth" <none@alw--it-service.sdu.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
Subject: Re: Modtager spam pga BSD-DK!

On 4/24/06, Allan Wermuth <none@alw--it-service.sdu.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk> wrote:

> Forwarding all Your mail to the Gmail account, and then fetching them back again, using
> POP/SSL, doesn't actually reduce the amount of traffic in your domain.

Indeed it can. MX records can use bandwidth of a different network
entirely compared to websites, as it is in my example.

But my solution is mainly to reduce inbound spam which has to be
manually processed. I'm not that low on bandwidth.

Of course POP3 over SSL is more bandwidth intensive compared to POP3,
but now I'm more safe as well, since my mailbox provider only supports
unencrypted POP3 and nothing else. Using GMail over SSL is for me a
much better solution.

I even filter that mail through SpamAssassin and ClamAV when it gets
home to me, and after that filtering there's only a tiny fragment of
spam getting through. Convenient.

--
Jakob Breivik Grimstveit - http://www.grimstveit.no/jakob - +47 48298152