Securing sshd against unwanted login attempts

From: Flemming Frøkjær (none@flemmingf--gmail.com.lh.bsd-dk.dk)
Date: Sun 31 Oct 2004 - 10:58:02 CET

Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:58:02 +0100
From: Flemming Frøkjær <none@flemmingf--gmail.com.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
To: bsd-dk@bsd-dk.dk
Subject: Securing sshd against unwanted login attempts

In the last week we have Had several posts regarding protecting sshd
from unwanted login attempts. I did find a interesting solution a
couple of months ago.
The solutions is called port knocking. It really simple. You simply
block the port sshd is listening on.
That effectively gets rid of all unwanted ( and wanted) login attempts.
To let you login to you configure your firewall to block and log a
range of ports. A small daemon is configured to monitor the firewall
log files, and a when a right combination of connection attempts are
observed on those ports a new firewall rule is added that will open
for only your IP address to reach the ssh daemon.

Take a look at www.portknocking.org