Re: Post HW-upgrade: UDMA problemer

From: Bjarne Wichmann Petersen (none@mekanix--privat.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk)
Date: Sat 09 Jun 2001 - 00:35:03 CEST

Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 00:35:03 +0200
From: Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <none@mekanix--privat.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
To: bsd-dk@bsd-dk.dk
Subject: Re: Post HW-upgrade: UDMA problemer

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 23:57:53 +0200
Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <none@mekanix--privat.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk> wrote:

> > Try reformatting the drive first. If it doesn't help - change it.
> I think I'll wait just a bit before taking such drastic measures! ;)

Just did something. Changed the IDE-cable with a IDE/ATA100 caple. No
problems whatsoever. I'm running DMA.

So where does that leave me? It's either a faulty IDE-cable (but wouldn't
that have given me other problems than just slow PIO?), faulty controller
on the mainboard, some kind of bug in the kernel-source/driver or faulty
drive.

The first one is easy to check, just have to find another ordinary
IDE-cable. The last one would require a spare drive to do some testing on,
which I don't have. And since the drives have worked perfectly before on
the old mainboard *and* it works just fine with PIO and ATA100 I'd tend to
excludes this.

So any ways to chech whether the controller or driver is at fault?

Bjarne