Re: Disk maintainence

From: Anton Berezin (none@tobez--plab.ku.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk)
Date: Tue 05 Oct 1999 - 21:37:53 CEST

Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 21:37:53 +0200
From: Anton Berezin <none@tobez--plab.ku.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
To: Flemming Frøkjær <none@flemming--froekjaer.org.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
Subject: Re: Disk maintainence

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 12:12:33PM -0700, Flemming Frøkjær wrote:

> I'm new to FreeBSD, but was doing good until i started to receive
> "Unrecovered read errors"
> Is there a tool like windows scandisk?

Yes, but unfortunately the disk should have some place reserved for bad
blocks replacement. This is only possible during disk partitioning (pay
attention to ``bad block scan'' option). If you partition was prepared
properly, if can use bad144(8) utility as a more/less equivalent to
winblows scandisk. Also note, that if you have many bad blocks on your
disk, and/or the number of those is increasing, you should seriously
consider changing the disk.

> How do i keep my file systems in shape, and at a optimum performance?

Hmm. Turn on softupdates, mayhaps? Use striped ccd?

> A second problem. When i upload to my FreeBSD machine from my NT i
> get about 45 Kb/s The other way i get 1200 Kb/s I use FTP for the up
> and download, since i don't want to install samba. How do i
> investigate that problem?

What kind of network connection do you have? This sounds like wrong
duplex setting to me.

The output of ``ifconfig -a'' and ``netstat -r'' would be helpful.

Cheers,

--
Anton Berezin <none@tobez--plab.ku.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
The Protein Laboratory, University of Copenhagen