Re: FreeBSD friendly ISP?

From: Hroi Sigurdsson (none@hroi--get2net.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk)
Date: Mon 14 Jun 1999 - 14:34:02 CEST

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:34:02 +0200
From: Hroi Sigurdsson <none@hroi--get2net.dk.lh.bsd-dk.dk>
To: bsd-dk@hotel.prosa.dk
Subject: Re: FreeBSD friendly ISP?

Anton Berezin wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 13, 1999 at 04:54:40PM +0200, Michael Larsen wrote:
>
> > What do you meen by BSD-friendly ???
>
> Shell account and people that can help not only from Windows side of things if
> something went wrong with setup. Well, that's basically it.
>
> You see, I never worked with modem connection before, so I don't really know
> which problems can arise from the ISP's side of things. I am planning to use
> userland ppp, and I'd like to be sure there will be no incompatibilities before
> it's too late. That's why I am asking this list.

I connect to get2net.dk with user-ppp. No problems.
Here is my ppp.conf:

# Beware of broken lines
default:
 set log Phase Chat Connect lcp ipcp ccp command
 set device /dev/cuaa0
 set speed 115200
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATZ1 OK-AT-OK
ATM0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 60 CONNECT"
get2net:
 allow users hroi
 set phone 100177307735
 set login
 set authname CENSORED
 set authkey CENSORED
 set timeout 120
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR
 enable dns

I connect with "ppp -auto get2net" which makes it so that outbound
packets cause the modem to dial and hang up after 2 minutes of
inactivity. Dial-on-demand. Very easy to setup IMHO, pppd can be a hell
and does'nt have dial-on-demand:-)

Don't expect any FreeBSD/Linux support from Get2Net though (Only
point-and-drool support offered).
I don't think any mainstream ISPs offer shellaccess today. Too insecure.

Other choices are Image.dk (run mostly on Linux and FreeBSD) which has
free accounts, CyberCity (mostly FreeBSD, I heard) and TeleDanmark (free
accounts too).
Be sure to *buy* an account if you plan on being online for more than an
hour daily, since the rates are lower for subscribers (at least in
Get2Nets case).

--
Hroi Kristjan Sigurdsson
hroi@get2net.dk